Boysenberry Festival 2019... Food, Flowers, and Fun!
It's that time of year again! The rains have ended, the flowers are blooming, and it's time to celebrate everything boysenberry at Knott's Berry Farm! Every boysenberry in the world can be traced back to Walter Knott and his farm in Buena Park. The boysenberry is a cross between a red raspberry, blackberry and loganberry. The berry was propagated by Anaheim neighbor Rudolph Boysen, but abandoned shortly thereafter when harvesting it was unsuccessful. The scraggly bushes were brought to Walter Knott's attention and by 1934 he had a bumper crop of enormous, sweet-tart berries which prove more popular than anything he'd grown before. Coupled with Cordelia Knott's berry preserves and pies, folks came from across the country to sample the famed boysenberry.
Each Spring, for the past several years, Knott's Berry celebrates their history with the Boysenberry Festival, which typically takes place for several weeks during Spring Break and Easter season. This year's festival runs through Sunday, April 28, 2019. The event features more than 75 boysenberry-themed food items, a variety of take-home goods, merchandise, beer and wine tastings, and more! Special entertainment has been added in the form of live shows, games, art displays, and short films on the history of the berry and the park. Limited-time food items are available to purchase individually, or sample your way around the park through a tasting card and try select items.
Berry superfans attended opening weekend dressed in the Boysenberry best!
Food, Food, and More Food
This year, 75 boysenberry-inspired creations will be available during the 2019 Knott's Boysenberry Festival! Fourteen of the 75 items will be available to sample through a $35 tasting card, which offers a choice of any eight you desire. Try eight separate dishes, or have multiples of your favorite! Each inspired creation was crafted by the Knott’s culinary team. Guests will have the opportunity to indulge in a tantalizing lineup of dishes ranging from savory foods with a boysenberry twist to one-of-a-kind specialty desserts and drinks that can only be found at Knott’s Berry Farm during this time of year. For a more detailed look at the food options, and where to find them, visit our Boysenberry Festival Preview post and download our handy guides to your phone!
theFUNnelCakeBlog's favorites: Boysenberry Rubbed Flank Steak with Boysenberry Cream Cheese sauce, Boysenberry Chili in a Boysenberry Bun, Boysenberry Sausage, Boysenberry BBQ Pulled Pork Tostada, and the Boysenberry Butter Grilled Cheese with Boysenberry Jam!
Wine, Beer, and Cheese!
A variety of local wines, craft beer, and specially themed cocktails are available through the park during the Knott's Boysenberry Festival.
Select locations sell beverages by the glass. Head to the Wilderness Dance Hall and purchase a tasting card to sample six beer and wine selections of your choice from the specially curated collection.
Each tasting card card comes with a cheese and fruit plate!
Our favorite: the Boysenberry Wine and the Lindeman's Framboise Raspberry Beer.
While the food takes center stage at the Knott's Boysenberry Festival, the park decor steals the show. Lavish displays and fresh flowers transport you to a Spring wonderland!
Merchandise Shop 'til you drop! From Knott's Berry Market's classic preserves, to their now famous Boysenberry BBQ sauce in various varieties, dozens of Boysenberry themed food, bath, and souvenir items are for sale around the park. With any purchase, get a limited edition pin and patch for only $3! Select from, coffee, bath bombs, rum infused dipping sauces, candy pies, and much more. Even take home your own boysenberry plant to start your own mini farm! For less than $10, bring home a can of boysenberries and fresh mix to make your own warm, fresh cobbler.
The Knott’s Boysenberry Festival offers a variety of entertainment options throughout the day.
- Tied up in Knott’s! (Wilderness Dance Hall) This tribute art show is dedicated to the rich history of Knott’s Berry Farm. Over 30 artists contributed 50 pieces of art to the show, which pays homage to Knott’s Berry Farm’s past, present and future in various mediums including: oil paintings, illustrations and digital mixed media. Original artwork is for sale, as are prints of select pieces.
- Snoopy’s Boysenberry Jamboree! (Calico Stage) Guests are invited to join Snoopy, Charlie Brown and the entire Peanuts Gang in a musical stage show that will have families dancing along at the Calico Mine Stage. (theFUNnelCakeBlog favorite!)
- Boysenberry Bedlam... Or The Villain Was In a Jam (Old Time Melodrama) (Bird Cage Theatre) Knott’s pays tribute to its past at the Legendary Bird Cage Theatre with a special presentation of the musical comedy melodrama with a surprising boysenberry twist. (theFUNnelCakeBlog favorite!)
- Krazy Kirk and the Hillbillies (Wagon Camp) A group of krazy talented performers will have guests toe tappin’, vine dancin’ and knee-slappin’ to a comedic country music show at the Wagon Camp stage.
- Musical Performances (Fireman's BBQ and Boardwalk BBQ Stages) Various musical duos playing Country and Bluegrass tunes will take the stage and entertain festival goers.
- Old MacDonald Petting Zoo (Main Street Barn) Young ones and young at heart are invited to cozy up to the cutest critters on the farm including horses, sheep, goats and other furry friends. Old MacDonald’s farm pays tribute to one of the farm’s original attractions.
- Knott's Totally Tubular 80's Dance Party (Boardwalk Ballroom) Grab your leg warmers for a trip back in time with all of your favorite 80's music just like you remember it! It's totally tubular!
- Fiesta Dance Party with DJ Cruz (Fiesta Stage) Slap on your dancing shoes as DJ Cruz spins the hottest dance tracks this side of Calico! Once you hit the dance floor, you won't be able to stop.
- The History of the Boysenberry Festival (Town Hall) Enjoy films and old photographs which pay tribute to founders Walter and Cordelia Knott and the berry that put their farm on the map. (theFUNnelCakeBlog favorite!)
- Calico Park Fun & Games (Calico Park) Test your skills in a variety of picnic games, including Grandpa's Boysenberry Pajamas, a Pie Walk, and more!
In addition to these special festival entertainment options, park favorites such as the Frontier Feats of Wonder Stunt Show, Calico Saloon Show, Native American Dancer, Mystery Lodge, and Space Beagle in Camp Snoopy will be performed. Show schedules subject to change.
For updates throughout the festival, visit facebook.com/theFUNnelCakeBlog and theFUNnelCakeBlog on Instagram.
For up-to-date festival information, visit knotts.com.